Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Kundalini Yoga Dangers


Question: Hi Yogi Marlon
First, I would like to say that I am a student of your teachings. I have had miraculous benefits from your teachings. I wanted to ask you a question. Is Kundalini Yoga safe spiritually?
Name: LaChandra
city: Delta City
state: Mississsippi,
country: USA


Hi LaChandra and thanks for writing.
You've asked a question that has a conditional answer. If a teacher who is close to you and highly experienced in Kundalini yoga is advising you on practices that are appropriate specifically for you and monitoring your progress closely, Kundalini yoga can be quite safe.

Kundalini practices focus upon raising shakti up the central energetic channel, the sushumna, which can propel one's spiritual evolution very powerfully. It is fairly common for practitioners of Kundalini experience mild to severe ramifications of the practices when they are not fully prepared for the practice by way of purification on physical, mental and spiritual levels. This means the prolonged and steady practice of a pure diet, drug-free mental and emotional stability, and spiritual preparedness amongst other things.

I did have verification from my teacher some years ago, that the ill effects of Kundalini practice can create a state that is best described as mental "blow-out". The ability to cope with everyday situations can drive one to intense instability for short or very long periods lasting as long as several years. An extreme reaction is, of course, rare. I am not aware of what the spiritual difficulties would be, but I strongly surmise they could be equally as deep. For this reason, I do not advise group Kundalini classes for yoga novices.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a teacher who is highly experienced and who is willing to closely track any Kundalini practices you may choose to do. My advice is to take a gentle path to spiritual development, starting with Hatha yoga to orient your entire being into the practices of yoga. One can generally safely go on to Laya (chakra) Yoga, some Kriya practices (which aim to purify).

I hope that serves a guide for you. Please feel free to comment here.

Om Shanti,
Yogi Marlon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I left a comment a couple of months ago re:dangers of kundalini and it was not posted...just wondering why

Yogi Marlon said...

I'm so sorry I neglected to post your earlier comment. There have been a few tragic events in my family, so some things have slipped thru the cracks. I'd be so appreciative if you would resend it. I'll review and post it right away. Many thanks.
Yogi Marlon