Friday, December 22, 2006

Getting Certified

Question: Hey Marlon,
I'm Anthony Cello's granddaughter Sandy. Your mom was telling us about your yoga DVDs. I have a friend who is going out to California to learn about yoga and pilates, and is also getting certified while she's there. She's teaches aerobics and also owns the gym I belong to. I was not sure where in California you practice, but I told her about you. Any suggestions for her?

Name: Sandra

city: Philadelphia

state: PA

Hi Sandy,
I practice at home in Los Angeles. That is after years of studying with my teacher, Rod Stryker, whom I follow wherever he is and whenever I can since 1994. I was very lucky to study with his teachers in NY before meeting him in LA and although I have sat with many teachers, I've found no one who is as steeped in and articulate about all branches of yoga than Yogiraj Rod Stryker. Your friend can access his teacher training programs at http://pureyoga.com. Frankly, if your friend wants unadulterated yoga in all its technical acumen while interlaced with its sacred depths (which is the only way I recommend it), there is no better teacher to my knowledge.

There are a multitude of programs out there what will give your friend a certificate in as little as an extended weekend, but I believe it lacks integrity and creates a liability to teach yoga after such a program.

When it comes to pilates, I know very little, so I cannot be of assistance there. After a few casual classes, I saw a number of exercises that could potentially create lower back problems, if one did not already have intensely strong abdominal muscles, so I sought it out no further.

I wish your friend a fortuitous journey into yoga. Please comment here if I can be of further assistance. That's what I'm here for.

Om Shanti,

Yogi Marlon

No comments: