Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Alcoholism and Yoga

Question: Hello Yogi Marlon,
I am writing you again because I desperately need help in my life. I drink alcohol as a way of coping with the stress. I need something to substitute for this unhealthy habit. My stresses are financial and marital. My husband is critical and quick to blame me for the things going wrong in our lives. I need to protect myself mentally. What does alcohol do to the body? Thank you for your time.
Sincerely, M.

Name: Omitted to preserve her identity
city: Newborn
state: GA

Dear M,
There are so many times when I get questions from people how so desperately need to reach out for help. It's accurate to think of yoga as an appropriate therapy for any physical, mental or spiritual problem. Unfortunately, a case as severer as yours would require a yogi who could spend a great deal of time with you to really help. Additionally, since our Western system does not recognize yoga as the comprehensive science it is, there is a great liability for me to advise you. I do feel I can give you some simple guidelines here, but first I must impress upon you to seek professional help close to home. Alcoholism is life- threatening, so I'd never want to take it so lightly to offer you a few sentences in lieu of an intensive program for recovery.

From the standpoint of the tradition of yoga, I can tell you how it historically views such problems. Yoga says that all satisfaction that is sought through object identification is ultimately fruitless. That is, reaching for a substance such as alcohol or any object that is outside yourself, can only deliver maya, or loosely, the fleeting illusion of happiness. Instead, yoga teaches one how to derive what it views as a true sense of contentment thru a connection with God. There are many methods of mentally bringing one's focus inward through various yogic practices. They include postures linked with specific breathing techniques, breathing techniques on their own, meditation, mantra, focusing on yantras, service to others, etc, etc, etc. True yoga is a many-folded tradition with a multitude of techniques. After a concentrated effort one begins to find an inner peace, a genuine love for oneself and all others and things through this connection.

Yoga's techniques and values seek to continually promote purity in the body, the mind and emotions and the spirit. Alcohol abuse is antithetical to that. It stresses the whole organism. It creates a state of dehydration. Absence of water in the body robs it of one of the basic components of healthy cell reproduction. Stresses on the liver are widely known. Its effect on other organs is of great consequence as well.

Dear, M, please take responsibility for your own actions and well-being. I am sending you my greatest wish for the release of alcohol's grip in your life. I am also sending my prayers to all divine beings to guide you to sobriety, fulfillment and deep and meaningful joy.

Om shanti, shanti, shanti,
Yogi Marlon

No comments: