Saturday, December 23, 2006

Hip Replacement Therapy with Yoga


Question: Hi Yogi Marlon

I have had hip surgery in Feb. and I have problems with my other hip and I was wondering if Yoga would help me. I can't get into the sitting position with my legs crossed in front of me. What can I do instead? I just got a DVD for Feeling Stronger Every Day. I haven't done exercise or Yoga before. Is it too late for me to start something like this?

Name: Carol

city: Yakima

state: WA


Hi Carol,

No, it’s not too late to start yoga. In fact, it sounds like a very good time to start a yoga practice, because yoga postures have almost no impact. That’s essential to good joint health, especially as we age. What’s more, yoga can create flexibility more than any other therapy I’ve seen.
Learn how to pair the breath with postures and you will see significant results.

I’m glad you purchased one of my DVDs, but the one you choose is not for beginners. Yoga for Feeling Stronger Every Day is meant for people who have experience in yoga and want to gain muscle strength and mass.

I suggest you try these other titles for a more elementary explanation. These titles have easier practices on them.
Yoga for Absolute Beginners
Yoga for a Healthy Back (my hunch this one is best for you)
Yoga for Couch Potatoes
You can find a description of all my titles on this page by clicking on the DVD cover, and from there you can see streaming video. http://askyogimarlon.com/dvd.html

If you cannot sit on the ground cross-legged, you can do some of the postures initially in a chair. If so, scoot forward so you do not use the back, but instead hold your posture erect yourself.

Do try and sit on the ground to loosen your hips. You can start by sitting on a stack of books or firm pillows. Later when you can sit with your butt on the ground, use a block, some books or a pillow to support under your knees. Work to remove the use of all props with your knees toward the ground and always with your spine tall. Remember to breathe deeply in all postures. Your body releases instead of grips when you do, especially on long slow exhales. Make special note of learning ujjayi pranayama (Sunglass Breath chapter on Yoga for Couch Potatoes) It’s an essential part of yoga practice and should accompany all the postures you.

I hope that is helps. Please let me know how it goes.

If anyone reading this has had hip replacement surgery and practiced yoga as part of your recovery, please post a comment and let us know what worked best for you. Let’s make use of this as an on-line community resource!

Om shanti,


Yogi Marlon

No comments: